Third Alpha of Graylog v2.0 Released With 3 New Features
We’ve just released the third alpha of Graylog v2.0. If you missed the previous alphas, check out blog post 1 and blog post 2 to get caught up on the new features that we’ve already announced. This third alpha release includes three new features, in addition to some bug fixes and improvements.
Testing the alpha
This Alpha release is far from feature complete, but we would definitely appreciate your help with testing at this current state! Please submit issues at our GitHub graylog-server repo.
New documentation for 2.0 is also in progress, and we could use some help filling in the gaps as you explore the new version. If you’re interested in contributing to documentation for 2.0, please submit content at our GitHub documentation repo.
New Features since the Graylog v2.0 alpha-2 release
Query range limit
This adds a configuration option to limit the time range for searches. If you manage a team, some of your users on Graylog systems might be unintentionally overloading your Elasticsearch clusters by executing resource-intensive searches over an extended timeframe. If you set the limit to 1 month, for example, no one will be able to search for logs that are older than one month.
Go to System/Configurations in the navigation to configure your query range limit.
Configurable options for relative time range search
The relative time range options for search have always been fixed, and you could only limit your time range up to the last 30 days. But what if you wanted to execute a search over the last 3 months? Now you can! You can change or delete the default values and also add new ones.
Go to System/Configurations in the navigation to configure your default time range options.
Index rotation and retention configuration in the web interface
Previously, you had to configure the index rotation and retention settings in the config file, which also required a server restart. Now, you can configure these settings directly from the web interface without requiring a server restart to activate them.
As a bonus, the index rotation/retention strategy configuration is now pluggable. If you want to create your own rotation or retention strategy in a plugin, you can now build a custom UI for it as well.
- Add X-Graylog-Server-URL HTTP header to allow HTTP clients (including proxies) to define the server URI that is used by the web interface code to contact the REST API. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1808
- Create UI to configure the index rotation and retention strategies. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1788
- UI components for index rotation/retention are now pluggable. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1788
- CRUD REST API for cluster config objects. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1822
- Query range limit and UI to configure it. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1806
- The minimum required MongoDB version is now 2.4.
- Document web interface configuration settings in graylog.conf. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1777
- Fix roles link to documentation. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1805
- Fix issue with field graphs. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1811
- Fix search result pagination. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1812
- Fix add to query button on quick values. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1797
- Fix URL to Graylog marketplace on content pack export page. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1817
- Fix elasticsearch node name for the Graylog client node. Graylog2/graylog2-server#1814 and Graylog2/graylog2-server#1820
- Fix widget sorting for dashboards.
- Fix Log4j 2 configuration file. Graylog2/omnibus-graylog2#27
Graylog v2.0 Alpha can be downloaded from here.
Our virtual appliance in OVA format has also been updated for this release.
Docker and DEB/RPM packages are not yet available for this alpha release.
We need your feedback
We need feedback about what’s working and what’s broken in order to help everyone get the most out of Graylog 2.0. There are a variety of ways to provide feedback, all of which can be found on our community resources page:
- Report bugs and other issues in our GitHub graylog-server repo.
- Help with documentation in our GitHub documentation repo.
- Start a discussion in our Google Group mailing list.
- Or join the chatter on our #graylog Freenode IRC channel.
- New feature ideas are welcome in our product idea portal.
We’re super excited about releasing 2.0, and we value your feedback. So please go try out this release and let us know what you think!